*PLEASE NOTE – We have no further accommodation available for our April 2018 workshops, please contact email@example.com if you would like information on alternative accommodation for the workshop . There are still spaces available in this workshop*
DP Physics teachers new to the DP at established IB World Schools, teachers from interested or candidate schools preparing for authorization, and DP physics teachers who have prepared students for at least one DP exam session in physics.
This workshop is designed to prepare participants to teach physics in a manner that supports the IB mission statement and philosophy, whilst improving the teaching and learning experience in the DP classroom. The workshop will focus on the following, as well as considering individual needs:
- developing an understanding of the IB mission and philosophy through the DP programme model as a context for a holistic learning experience
- the subject-specific guide and associated internal and external assessment requirements with practice marking activities of sample student work
- structuring a course that integrates authentic assessment and encourages students to make links across the DP that will enhance their understanding
- using the OCC to access IB publications and network with other IB educators.
- assessing the links between IB Programme standards and practices (January 2014) to enhance the teaching and learning experience
- developing strategies to improve student access to the DP; for example, differentiating the curriculum and offering multilingual classrooms
- reviewing aspects of assessment to ensure that teaching and learning activities promote student achievement and address subject-specific assessment criteria, both internal and external
- integrating the IB philosophy, TOK and CAS to promote student understanding
- understanding how collaborative planning increases connections between subjects that can reinforce knowledge, understanding and skills
- the role of the extended essay supervisor and subject specific assessment criteria
- the implementation of DP policies and procedures
- broad changes to the DP (newly published guides following a curriculum review will be the focus of specially designed category 3 workshops called “subject specific seminars”)
Category 1 & 2
Choose this workshop if you are new to the IB, an experienced DP Physics teacher, or if your situation is similar to any of the following:
- You are new to the faculty of a longstanding IB World School and have not taught in an IB programme previously.
- You are aware of the IB philosophy and programme structure but are not experienced in teaching or administering the IB.
- You are familiar with the IB subject guide (including assessment procedures, moderation) and would like greater confidence before teaching a course.
- You have inherited a course and would like a review before teaching it to suit your own style and expertise.
If you are an experienced DP Physics teacher who wishes to develop your expertise in delivering an IB programme. You will have an opportunity to:
- make connections between programme frameworks and classroom practice
- enhance your understanding of assessment in IB programmes
- discuss and analyse standards and practices
||Friday 13th – Sunday 15th April 2018
||University of Warwick Conference Centre.
||Anytime between 13:00 and 14:00 on Friday 13th.
||12:45 on Sunday 15th April
For workshop applications, you will be directed to a site hosted by OSC (who handle registrations for IBSCA).
Please follow the link below to fill in the simple online application form